#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto;} #header-inner, .header-inner {text-align:center;} #Header1_headerimg { margin: 0 auto; text-align:center;}

Sep 17, 2015

Dawson Thomas: Welcome Baby!

I haven't blogged regularly in quite some time. The past 9+ months or so I lacked motivation because I was super tired during my pregnancy and had morning (more like ALL day) sickness nearly the entire time. Between working full-time, trying to keep up with our busy 6-year old during summer vacation, and maintaining some semblance of our "normal" life, I just couldn't handle much else! 

But I am thrilled to announce that we welcomed our sweet, new baby boy - Dawson Thomas - on September 8th! 

We were scheduled to go in for a c-section at 10:00 am that day anyway, but our little guy had other plans. I started feeling contractions around 10:00 pm the night before and just knew they were different than the Braxton Hicks I'd been having since 25 weeks. I slept for a while and woke up at 2:45 am to a very short, but very regular contractions. 

I called our hospital's Labor and Delivery line to determine what to do if the contractions didn't slow down by the time we were scheduled to arrive. After talking with the nurse, I started timing them and within less than an hour I was feeling them about 3 minutes apart. By the time I called my mom and she arrived to stay with Mason to get him up and ready for school in the morning, the contractions had progressed to 2 minutes apart and were getting stronger.

We made it to the hospital at 6:00 am, got checked in and went to triage. It turned out there were several others there too, including one scheduled c-section before ours and another mom in labor who was a planned c-section as well. While the nurses tried to determine who should go first, my contractions picked up the pace quite quickly! By 8:30 am, they were 1 to 1 1/2 minutes apart and definitely feeling very strong. The nurse came in and said we were just waiting on the OR to open up and we'd be going back. She said, "I'm not letting them make you wait any longer or else this baby is going to arrive on his own terms!"

Everything after that was a bit of a whirlwind. Our little guy arrived at 9:42 am, weighing 7 pounds, 14 ounces (the same as Mason), and 20 inches long (only 1/2 an inch shorter). My experience after the surgery was very different than I remember with Mason. Nearly seven years ago, I didn't get to hold my baby until after they had bathed him and we were in a recovery room after what felt like an eternity! 

This time around, the nurses handed Dawson to my husband and he held him right next to my face. I don't think I will ever forget feeling his soft little cheek against mine and his crying calmed right down when he heard my voice. As soon as we were in the recovery room, I was able to hold Dawson and start nursing him right away. I was really happy to find that much of our hospital stay was a different experience than I remember having last time also. Of course, back then as a first time mom, I really had no idea what I was doing! 

It's now been 10 days since Dawson joined our family and we are so happy to have him here!

Dawson's first photo

Daddy and his boy

Proud big brothers

Such a sweet, sleepy guy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...