#header-inner img {margin: 0 auto;} #header-inner, .header-inner {text-align:center;} #Header1_headerimg { margin: 0 auto; text-align:center;}

Apr 13, 2014

DIY:: Reclaimed Wood Headboard

After creating our fabulous reclaimed wood dining table, we had a few planks left. I knew I would eventually put them to good use, so we have been storing them for their eventual purpose.

The idea for a reclaimed wood headboard came to me one weekend while my husband was elbows deep in our basement remodel. Of course, I always come up with additional projects to keep us both busy! I had seen a few ideas on Pinterest and decided I could make a plan of my own.

The leftover boards were already cleaned, sanded, and ready to go. Three of the boards were slightly longer than the width of our queen-size bed, and four were shorter. I had to figure out a way to cut down the longest ones and use the scraps to lengthen the shortest pieces. After a quick sketch of my plan for the final product, I ran to the hardware store for some wood and brackets. The total cost for this project was $15.38 because we had nearly everything on hand.

DIY Reclaimed Wood Headboard 

(My Total Cost=$15.38)
Reclaimed wood - $0 (left from a previous project)
Screws - $0 (thanks to my handy Hubs)
Brackets - 4 pks of 2 brackets -$1.97 each
1x4's - three 8' pine boards cut in half (used three 48" sections for this project) - $4.99 each
2x4's - (for added support and attaching to the frame) two 6" sections already cut from our basement remodel - $0

To start, I laid all of the planks out side by side. I cut the longest ones down to 62" each to match the width of our bed frame. Then I lined up the shorter planks and the scraps cut from the longest boards. I used two metal plate brackets for each "seam," using a total of eight brackets. Once I'd connected all of the shorter pieces end to end, we also cut them to the 62" length so that everything would match up. I like the random seams, as I think it adds to the rustic look of the piece.

I sanded down the corners slightly just to smooth them out. Once I had all of the boards laid out (upside down) on the basement floor, we connected the 48" 1x4's perpendicularly. This just took a few drywall screws that the Hubs had on hand already. We attached one 1x4 to each end of the headboard in line with where the bed frame would be, and one directly in the middle for support.

To make sure everything was stable, we attached each plank to the 1x4 with two screws. It took a little bit of work to keep all of the planks tightly together. Since we had 5 total planks, it ended up being 10 screws per support for each of the three supports. This part was slightly time consuming, but was easy enough and made everything super secure. (Just make sure your screws are not longer than the total width of your 1x4's and your reclaimed wood so they don't poke through the front of the headboard.)

Once the support pieces were secured to the headboard planks, we set the headboard up behind our bed. To attach the headboard to the frame, the hubs used some 6" sections of 2x4's he had left from framing the basement. He placed one 2x4 on the inside of the frame (under the bed), then screwed the support board into the 2x4, essentially "sandwiching" the metal of the bed frame between the boards. After doing this on both sides, we moved the bed back into its regular spot. (The center 1x4 doesn't attach to the frame, it merely rests on the floor to help support the weight of the headboard.)

I LOVE our new headboard. It is the perfect addition to our bedroom remodel. Now I'm planning to refinish our side tables and am looking for a tall dresser to paint as well!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...